How to Remove Coffee Stains From Carpets
We all know the chaos of a coffee cup collision causing a dark stain and your carpet or upholstery are often the main casualty.
It’s best to treat coffee spills early, while it is still wet, the sooner the stain is treated the better the outcome. Whether you prefer a natural or commercial stain remover, the method of cleaning is much the same.
To have the best chance of getting coffee stains out of a carpet, we advise following these 5 simple steps.
- Begin by blotting the area with a dry cloth, starting at the edges of the stain and moving inward, to prevent spreading the liquid further, do this gently, avoid rubbing or scrubbing, as this will penetrate the liquid further into the carpet fibres. Soak up as much of the liquid as you can.
- Make your own natural stain remover with basic items that are stored in your home or office cleaning cupboard and kitchen. Mix one tablespoon of mild liquid detergent, with one tablespoon of vinegar and two cups of warm water.
- Apply this mix to a clean cloth and repeat the same dabbing action as Step 1, as the coffee lifts from the carpet fibres, use a dry cloth or paper towel to blot and remove this. Finish by rinsing the area with small amount of cool water on a clean cloth and allowing to air dry
- If there still appears to be a faint stain or you’re dealing with an older dried coffee stain, spray a small amount of water onto it and then sprinkle salt or baking soda, leave for 10 minutes then vacuum the carpet, this can help lift the stain.
- If the spillage of coffee contained milk, cream or sugar, this can be tackled using equal amounts of laundry detergent and warm water mixed together. It seems the enzymes in the detergent break down some of the stickiness. Again finish with gently rinsing with cool water and allow to air dry
If commercial cleaning products are available and preferred, use the method of soaking up excess coffee first, then the application of the cleaner, following manufacturer’s directions.
These methods should be sufficient to remove stains from you carpet, but if there is particular stubborn stain you may need the advice from professional carpet cleaning company.
Cleaning technique Ltd is a commercial cleaning company and you can find out more about carpet and upholstery cleaning here